Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's been decided

After getting more info on both locations and the recommendation from my supervisor Regina, I've chosen Houk (pronounced 'hoke') as my next placement site. Regina told me that the culture in Houk is actually more similar to Woleai than it is in Asor, and the language is mutially intelligible--Houkese understand Woleain and vice versa. I also found a really cool website run by people from Houk (www.houkisland.org). Looks like an amazing place. And I still get to wear a loincloth!
The thought of leaving Woleai is still very painful, as are the images of good-byes with family and friends out there. However, I'm starting to actually feel a bit excited to go to Houk, meet new people and build relationships there. It's going to be a totally new experience, and though it's coming sooner than I'd hoped, I did want to try something new after Woleai.
Here's hoping for the future [fingers crossed].

1 comment: