Sunday, November 8, 2009

Intermediate--Mid:

This is the level my language instructor graded me at following the test we were administered this past Thursday. I'm excited about this, because it is one step up from where we are required to be by Peace Corps at the end of training. So now I'd like to share with you the technical definition for an 'intermediate--mid' speaker of a foreign language. It reads in the 'Peace Corps Volunteer On-going Language Learning Manual' as follows:

"Intermediate--Mid
Can participate in simple conversations about some survival needs and social traditions. Can discuss topics beyond basic survival, such as personal history and leisure time activities.
Beginning to use correct grammar constructions such as subject-verb and noun-adjective agreement.

*Then comes a check list of things I can say I'm capable of*

I can handle questions about my marital status, nationality, occupation, age and place of birth.
I can order a simple meal from a restaurant menu.
I can ask for or tell the time, date, and day of the week.
I can handle simple business at the post office, a bank, and the pharmacy.
I am beginning to speak more correctly; my subjects and verbs generally agree.
I can perform at least one task at the Intermediate--High level."

I think this roughly equates to a four year-old's level of language proficiency. Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Porter! I look forward to hearing from you.
    Beverly Beyer
    Stevenson Center for Community & Economic Development
    Illinois State University

    ReplyDelete