Monday, June 13, 2011

1/27/11 Like a band of gypsy...

Departed Houk November 5th, 2010. Four days spent riding the Nien Chuuk fishing boat back to Weno. We stopped at five islands, three of which I was able to visit. Polowat, Tamatam, and Onoun are unique and beautiful islands in the northwest of Chuuk state.

Polowat's lagoon is the most beautiful I've seen - so clear and serene. Tamatam is shaped like a guitar, is well landscaped in the main community areas, and has a wonderful gathering square with three traditional meeting houses. Onoun is large and more developed with a solar power station, high school, and airstrip. I loved wandering these islands and meeting locals, especially on Tamatam, where Paul (a teacher) showed me around and chatted me up for a few hours.

From November 8th till December 12th, I stayed in the main Chuuk lagoon, mostly on Weno. I had work from Houk, language studying, and main island PCV stuff to do. I even substitute taught at a private high school on Weno for a week of that time. Also used that opportunity to be present for the swearing-in ceremony of the new group of Chuuk PCVs. Many good moments but the loss of Andy had me pretty shaken and I was doubting on myself with vigor. When I had my shit together, I joined the other PCVs and the JVs for a Thanksgiving get together on Eot (a lagoon island where one of our M74s was placed; he finished service in December). We hiked around, met John's host family, had a nice meal and watched a huge drag net be emptied of its fish before heading to the next island over to swim a bit. Got a really mild jelly fish sting. Also visited Ben's site (our other M74 in the lagoon, on Feefin), for a 'goodbye' party night being thrown on his account. There was speechifying, eating and dancing: the usual. What was interesting was that the dancing turned into a dance party rather than a performance, and we white folk were all involved. Then we went back to Ben's house, drank with his host dad and brother - three horrific bottles of wine after finishing off the yeast (very simple alcoholic brew made in Micronesia). There was also a night at a local hotel, when Peace Corps and Jesuit Volunteer alike danced and drank and celebrated the friendship and successful completion of service of John and Ben. And just before my group took off for MST, we had a sort of Christmas pre-celebration: good meal, Christmas carols and great company.

December 12th we flew to Pohnpei around 11pm. Before our flight, the M76ers cleaned the office, had some pizza and played some ping-pong. MST was incredible, some good sessions and so much valuable time with our fellow volunteers. Sharing stories and experiences really helped a lot of people put their service in better context and to feel better prepared to take on the second year. And for me, it steadied my emotions, helped me regain my footing and get closure on the first year. I stayed on in Pohnpei for five days after MST, till my flight to Australia, during which I got better acquainted with some of the PCVs there and hung out with my buddy Ap. We were house sitting for the Country Director while he was on vacation. A steak and potato and salad dinner was a main highlight.

Australia was an awesome trip. Food, booze, relaxation, a good friend, so much laughter, time with a wonderful family and just a swell country. Cairns was hotter than B-Gee Bus, but I'm pretty used to that. Sydney was much milder and I greatly enjoyed just wandering around the cities, grabbing a beer here and there, taking some photos. Kc's presence was kick ass, as she can nearly keep up with my drinking and takes more initiative than me in planning days or just coming up with stuff to do. I approach vacations just like I do backpacking: set a destination, get there with not more than you can carry and just sort of, you know, look around, take pics, hike in the day, have a drink and chat at night, and maybe do some fishing if you brought a rod. Some folks might not do well with my lack of direction or planning, but she did fantastically.

Back in the FSM as of January 10th, spent the night in Pohnpei with some of the PCVs and then flew on to Chuuk. Seventeen more days readjusting to Micronesia, seeing the PCVs and JVs, and preparing to get out to Houk. It was a good two weeks with many projects to get done. Even got to chaperone a high school dance, which I was very excited to see. Coed mingling is strongly discouraged in Micronesian culture. The kids stepped outside the bounds in several ways that night, but mainly held to their upbringing. It was fun, but HOT! I soaked my clothes, literally, from neck to mid thigh - very noticeable on the tan khakis I was wearing, very noticeable.

January 27th I got myself to the Chuuk airport by 4:30 that morning for a 5 am flight. They didn't even open the airport till a quarter after 6. Unpleased though I was, we boarded and left for Houk about 7 am. Will hang here till the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment