Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Warning Rain

10/6 Rain fell hard on Houk this morning. The drum of our roof beat out a warning I couldn't hear, or maybe I just didn't understand it--might have been in Chuukese. Munching my ramen and sipping coffee, I awaited the sounding of our bell to signal the start of the school day (the bell is an old CO2 container smacked w/a heavy metal plumbob). Clanging through the jungle it came, and I made my way to work.  
Yup, should have listened more closely to the rain. My co-teacher stayed home to look after her sick daughter. So on my second day, with no lesson plan, I took up the role of teacher. 
I'm supposed to be observing, getting a feel for the students and class dynamics as well as the level of the kids' English ability. Then I'll move into a helper role, find my place in the classroom, and then start to take more of a leading role at times. But when has anything gone according to plan while I've been in Peacs Corps? Rarely. It was a hypothetical, but still, let's just say it: rare is the day that follows my plan, especially where school and travel are concerned.
First period: English with the 7th & 8th graders. Only two of the sixteen spoke during the 45 minutes of class. It was rough. Second & third periods were both with the 5th & 6th graders--math followed by English. I had no idea what they were doing in math, so we just went with an introduction on my part that strayed into the vaguely social studyish waters of what the FSM and USA stand for and what states are. The kids participated, we built some rapport and laughed. Nothing makes me feel like a worthwhile teacher as much as laughing students. Maybe that's not the best maxim for a teacher to operate under, but I like to think they're learning when they're laughing. Well, at least they're listening (not to mention understanding) and there's half the battle taken care of.
We finished with a brief chat about what we like to do, the last student contribution being 'drawing', which segwayed nicely into the drawing I had planned for third period. See how I put those two things together? Crafty, I know.  I'd scrounged some colored pencils and oversized newsprint sheets from the office that the kids dove into with gusto--seriously, they dove, pouncing on first the pencils and then the paper. I supervised, contemplated what I'll do next time I'm put in this position (probably tomorrow) and read a bit until recess. 
At recess the students all disperse about the island, making fourth period (the last before lunch) more of a nice idea than practical reality. The problem of not knowing the math plan was again an issue. Not wishing to repeat first period's pain, I set the 7th/8th grade to cleaning a particularly messy classroom, and I planned for the next lesson I'd give should the solo teacher mantle soon be placed on me again. 
Also during the morning classes, I noticed one of the other teacher's instructional technique: alternate b/w napping, being massaged by the kids and reading quietly while the students sit chatting. This was right on par with yesterday when said teacher showed up late, napped while being fanned by students and then dismissed them early for recess: approximately three minutes into third period.
Such are the challenges confronting outer island schools in the FSM. And that's just a small selection, a teaser preview as it were, of what confronts education out here. The question is: what do I do? The answer is: what I can. It's not unlike playing on a sports team or working on a group project. You focus on what you can control. Don't fly off he handle about someone else's effort/lack there of or try to take on more than you can reasonably handle. It'll only burn you out and ruin your days. As I'm in no notion to ruin my brief Micronesian stay, keeping my cool is the name of the game. Considering I've just spent about four months chilling out on a variety of islands while waiting to reach my new site and then for school to start, it should be an easy game to win. 
I'm encouraged by the principal's attitude and think it may be possible to turn him onto some more American-style administrative habits. And he seems pretty open to my ideas about reforming English teaching, moving into all English instruction in English class for the 1st/2nd graders--a plan backed enthusiastically by another teacher at the school. Also, my counter part teacher is motivated, plans ahead for classes and genuinely wants my assistance and advice. This is more than many PCVs can hope for in Micronesia. 
So let's call it a glass half full, eh? Plus, it's badass to be wearing a thu and swimming in the ocean again. 
"This, class, is what we called 'livin the goddamn dream'. So repeat after me, 'I'm livin the goddamn dream!' Again! And again with gusto, like I just dropped colored pencils and paper in front of you. If you're lying, kindly see to that. You'll be glad you did."

1 comment: